15 August 2009

PORTLAND PIE OFF 2009!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IS TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I spent the morning at the farmers market hemming and hawing over the best looking produce and people, and ended up bringing home 15 lbs of peaches. I was tricked into buying this amount, but now I think it was a good thing.

I just made my test pie and MASTERED the art of the lattice top pie crust. I mean, we'll see how it goes tomorrow. Maybe "mastered" isn't the right word. But either way- this one looks great. I shall not reveal my recipe today, obviously, but after tomorrow I will share the details.

Wish me luck. Last year I won a blue ribbon for "Best Pairing With Pie" which means the judges liked the booze I gave them. I was HUGELY honored to get a ribbon! But this year, hopefully the pie will speak for itself. I am bringing the test pie in for staff meal tonight. The chef let me know last night that he was already working on a staff meal to match my pie's down-home fatty appeal. The anticipation is nearly unbearable.

If you are in town, please come to the contest! It is from 1 to 3 or so at Peninsula Park in North Portland.

Photos and details tomorrow.

No comments: