16 February 2010

This is Healthy, Right?





When I had so much cream cheese frosting left over from the red velvet cupcakes, I knew a carrot cake was in my future. I made it last night when we went over to my dad and Lynne's house, and we couldn't wait for it to cool before we frosted it. That's why it looks kind of messy and extra delicious.

Carrot Cake
adapted from Bon Appetit
2 Cups cake flour
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon Jamaican allspice
2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
1 1/4 cups canola oil
4 eggs
3 cups grated carrots
1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease 2 9 inch cake pans. Mix flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice and ginger in one bowl. In another mix sugar and oil until smooth, then add eggs one at a time. Combine wet and dry ingredients, then add nuts and grated carrots. Divide batter between two pans and bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean after being inserted into the center of the cake. Let cool before removing from pans and frosting. I didn't let the cake fully cool before I frosted it with vanilla cream cheese frosting, and I recommend that you do wait. Enjoy.

5 comments:

Chef E said...

Oh you bad bad girl! I love that cake, its my fav...bad!!! No carrots in site...a pun, lol!

g.animalz said...

this cake is healthy ON MY EYES.

David said...

You know that is my favorite cake in the world, sans the nuts, but it think pecans would be okay.

Jenny said...

I know Dave, I dislike walnuts in carrot cake but feel ok about pecans. Miss you!

Jenny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.