20 February 2009

Tea time

I have been making Kombucha for the past few weeks. Kombucha is a fermented tea that is full of live cultures and is very healthy and wonderful. It tastes a bit like sparkling vinegar in its raw form.
I meant to post the first photos a while ago, but alas they are the blue-ish photos further down. Holly gave me the mother culture to get everything started, and since then I have created 6 of my own! Today I will part with two, and I am working on making two more. The batch I created today was perfect- sparkly and not sweet.
I do not know how you would make it without having a friend to give you a mother, but I think you can order them off line. Once you have a mother its easy- Boil a quart of water with a quarter cup of sugar, and then add a tablespoon of organic black tea. Steep and strain the tea, then cool it until it reaches less than 100 degrees. It is vital that you cool it down enough or it will kill the mother! Then, pour it into a glass bowl, float the mother on top along with a half of a cup of kombucha tea (the mother should have been waiting in it anyway), and then cover it with a cotton towel. You let this ferment for 7 to 10 days. My house is toasty warm and so it happens fast here- but colder takes longer. This link contains the directions I followed : Kombucha Directions

I feel like I have 6 children now that are all mothers. Creepy.

No comments: