12 January 2010

Lime Mascarpone Panna Cotta


I would probably not order a lime dessert if I saw it on a menu. However, when I made posole the other night I knew I should make something lime-y to follow it up. I found a recipe for lime panna cotta in Bon Appetit and decided to have a go.
I really love panna cotta. It is silky and light, despite being packed with not light things like heavy cream. However, this panna cotta was a bit different. It could be that I whipped the cream and the mascarpone a little too long, but it had a fluffy, cheesecake -like texture to it. Not my favorite, but still very delicious. When I tried it again today, I really liked it a lot and even accepted the fluffy texture into my heart. I think I will try to make panna cotta again soon to see if I can get the texture a bit silkier. Anyway, if you are into fluffy desserts and/or cheesecake, you will certainly like this dessert which is very easy to make.

Lime Mascarpone Panna Cotta
adapted from Bon Appetit

4 T. freshly squeezed lime juice
2 tsp. grated lime peel
1 tsp. gelatin
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup room temp. mascarpone
1/2 cup sugar

Mix the lime juice and peel together in a sauce pan, and sprinkle the gelatin over the top. Let sit for 5 minutes, and then turn the stove on to medium heat. Add 1/4 cup of cream to the pan and stir until the gelatin is absorbed. Remove from heat. Whisk mascarpone and sugar together, then whisk cream in. Do not over mix unless you want a fluffy texture. Mix in the lime-gelatin mixture, and then pour into small cups. Cover and chill for several hours before serving.
I served mine with cinnamon cookies.

No comments: