13 January 2010

Plain Cookies


I wanted a cookie on Sunday. Something honest to go along next to that crazy panna cotta. I thought a whisp of cinnamon might work, but not much else.I decided to make up my own damn recipe after having little luck finding something as simple as I wanted it to be. Here is what I came up with:

Plain Cookies
1 cup unsalted butter at room temp
1 T. mascarpone
1/2 cup bakers sugar
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp. vanilla (if I had a vanilla bean on hand I would have used it)
1 3/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon, plus more for dusting

Beat butter, mascarpone and sugar together until light and whipped. Add vanilla, then slowly mix in the flour, salt and cinnamon. Form dough into a tube, wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour. (This dough can be frozen this way too, and then you can bake off the cookies as you wish.) Slice off cookies about 3/8ths of an inch thick, and space evenly on a baking sheet or silpat. Bake until golden, about 9 minutes.


This cookie is buttery with little diamonds of salt here and there. It is not too sweet and highlights the cinnamon in a very comforting and pleasing way. I had two for breakfast yesterday and plan on having the last one right now.







PS. I would like to direct your attention here for information on how to help people in Haiti today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the link-I found Charity Water through it and made a donation. Sounds like a great organization.

SkippyMom said...

I have a very honest question - as my kids asked me this last night.

Why use unsalted butter in a recipe that calls for 1 tsp of sea salt? Is it really that important to the recipe? I don't usually keep unsalted butter in the house - not a fan - but if it is integral to this recipe I will use it.

Appreciate any help. Thanks!

Jenny said...

I picked Charity Water too, anonymous.

Skippy Mom, when using salted butter you have no idea how much salt is going into your recipe. With unsalted butter, you can control exactly how much you want to use. Also, I think the best cream is used in unsalted butter as there will be nothing to mask the flavors with. I am a big butter snob, since it is perhaps my favorite food, and I usually use Cremerie Classique or Lurpak butter.