07 September 2009

Estate Sale Sneakery

Kevin and I stopped at an estate sale in our neighborhood because we are sick and obsessed. It was one of the weirdest yet, which is saying something.

However.

I was digging through their weird and horrible cookbooks (looking for Mastering the Art of French Cooking) when I stumbled upon James Beard's Theory & Practice of Good Cooking. I just finished reading the Tenth Muse by Judith Jones and so I have been thinking a lot about him- his talent and eccentricities. I was flipping through it when I noticed that there on the first page it was SIGNED! I slammed the book shut and asked how much. 50 cents later and it was mine!
I do love getting change back at an estate sale.

The book is full of funny explanations and opinions like this one: "I'm always astounded by the number of people who say they don't like or have never eaten rabbit. They are to be pitied." Pitied! I agree.
I plan on trying a few of his recipes, but I am especially interested in making bread. I will next attempt to acquire Beard On Bread.

Anyway, I am a lucky girl indeed.


No comments: